Past Selves

10

I want the little things. I want to be a writer; I want to write a story about heroes and lost diamonds and scary dragons that are actually lonely for friends. I want to read one book every single day and draw pictures of lions and flowers and blue whales dancing under the sea. I want to swing around on the monkey bars and climb to the highest place on the playground and watch Disney movies after school. I want to bake cookies for all my friends and family. I want to work in a bakery someday, so I can make people happy. I want to eat a piece of cake after dinner and get a dog someday, so I won't ever be lonely. I want to fill my life with so much love.

16

I want the little things. I want to wake up in a dainty little apartment in a rainy city next to somebody I love, who loves me, and feel his warm body curled around mine. I want to cook pancakes together for breakfast, to stand at the coffee machine and ask how much milk and sugar he wants in his morning coffee and smile as I watch him flip pancakes at the stove. I want to enjoy a quiet breakfast together, ask each other about our dreams, and then return to bed and cuddle some more. I want to sit by the window on a rainy day next to a cup of tea and a good book in my lap. I want to sit with my laptop in a cozy coffee shop and wonder if I'll ever write a published book. I want to kiss him on the cheek when he comes home  after a long day at work and listen to him talk about day. I want to cook him dinner, smell the delicious aromas of tomato sauce, boiling pasta noodles, and sizzling meat, and sip a glass of wine as I sway to the soothing strains of music playing from the stereo. I want to smile and close my eyes as I feel his arms wrap around me from behind as I stand fussing over our dinner. I want to fall asleep in his arms. I want to dream and wake up and repeat.

20

I want the big things. I want to go to London and ride one of those red double-decker buses through the bustling streets. I want to go to Paris, sit in a French cafe and eat a croissant, and look up at the Eiffel Tower. I want to go to Italy and eat fresh pasta, fall in love with a handsome Italian boy, and part tragically until he finds me back in Canada. I want to go on adventures, see strange things, and fall in love with people who don't speak English. I want to fly around the world and fall asleep at airports. I want to take loads of photos and string them around my bed when I get home. I want to fall in love with everything. I want to be free.

23

I am stuck in old daydreams with the future coming full speed ahead. But I’ve been told a wise [woman] hanged her mind, while a fool never does.

Comments

Popular Posts