Banana Bread Epiphany

Thick slices of banana bread, nutty and sweet
like the smell of coffee
being poured in the morning;
Morning droplets of rain, pitter patter-ing
gently tempting me back to sleep;
Sleep so soft and easy
to slip into, especially
if I'm sleeping curled around
you: such simple
pieces of happiness

Thick slices of banana bread,
nutty and sweet like the smell of coffee
in the morning
rain tempting me to fall
back to sleep to avoid remembering

you

Playfully grimacing
because banana bread is "too bloody sweet";
Sweetly dismissing the coffee I made for you
because you prefer watery Breakfast tea;
Tossing and turning
through consequent sweaty mornings,
because the pitter patter-ing of rain
is "so fucking annoying"




I realized too late
I was your banana bread to morning rain:
an ill-fitting piece
of happiness

Comments

Popular Posts